This simple and easy traditional kids woven construction paper craft creates homemade Thanksgiving placemats for Thanksgiving dinner with minimal supplies needed and fun for kids of all ages.
Let your kids decorate the holiday table these Thanksgiving placemats. This fun construction paper craft will help them practice fine motor skills and will make your child feel part of the celebration decorations while keeping them busy during all that holiday cooking!
This article contains affiliate links.
Thanksgiving Paper Placemats Craft
This simple Thanksgiving craft is a great way to keep your little one busy.
Plus, let’s be honest, Thanksgiving dinner can be messy because kids, especially smaller ones, make a mess when they eat. So using placemats at the table can minimize the chaos.
*We have found that the best construction paper size is the size that you want the placemat to be which simplifies the process.
Directions to Make Thanksgiving Placemat
Choose the construction paper colors you want to use for the woven paper strips.
Cut the construction paper into strips 3/4th inch strips on the shorter side of the paper with scissors or a paper cutter.
Now we are going to make the base of the woven craft. Mark your paper with a pencil about an inch apart along the long stretch of the paper leaving an inch at each side without pencil marks using a ruler to guide you.
Cut along the pencil marks putting slits in the paper with scissors or paper cutter.
Weave the paper strips over and under the slits you just cut, alternating color.
Once all the paper is weaved in, glue the ends using glue to secure the ends.
Make some pretty leaves and decorations out of construction paper and glue them on with glue and add details with a dark colored marker.
Here are some ideas to make your placemat decorations:
Once you have glued on your decorative details, allow to dry and then you’re done with your homemade Thanksgiving placemats!
Finished Woven Placemat Craft
Unfortunately these paper placemats are a one time use, but you could easily make the again and again.
Change up the colors for other holidays and events.
- Multiple fall colors of construction paper – recommended 9×12 or 12×18 inch size
- Dark marker
- Scissors or paper cutter
- Use 1-3 colors of construction paper to cut across the short side of the paper into 3/4th inch paper strips.
- Take a base piece of paper in another color and using a pencil make lines across the paper longwise every 1 inch down the paper leaving 1 inch strip without a mark on either end.
- Cut slits along the pencil lines with scissors or paper cutter.
- Weave the paper strips below and above the slits making a woven colorful placemat.
- Glue the loose ends of the paper strips.
- Decorate the placemats with leaves and other fall decorations outlined with a dark marker color.
- Allow to dry and then use!
FREE PRINTABLE PLACEMATS FOR KIDS
If you would rather just download & print your Thanksgiving paper placemats (or for other events), then we have a big list of printable placemats here at Kids Activities Blog:
Here is where you can find a ton more Thanksgiving crafts for kids <–over 190 ideas!
How did your woven construction paper Thanksgiving placemat craft turn out?