Let’s have some fun today with E words! Words that start with the letter E are elegant and excellent. We have a list of E letter words, animals that start with E, E coloring pages, places that start with the letter E and letter E foods. These E words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
E Words For KidsIf you are looking for words beginning with E for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun. Related: Letter E Crafts This article contains affiliate links.
- E is for Energetic, which means displaying a lot of energy or exertion.
- E is for Encouraging, meaning you give confidence, courage, or hope to someone.
- E is for Empathetic, which understanding someone else’s feelings.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH E:
1. HARPY EAGLEHarpy Eagles are among the world’s largest and most powerful eagles. Truly impressive birds, Harpy Eagles’ legs are as thick as a person’s arm and their talons are three to four inches long — the same size as a grizzly bear’s claws! The species inspired the design of Fawkes the Phoenix in the Harry Potter series and is the national bird of Panama. Like an owl, they hunt using the feathers on their face to focus on sounds! You can read more about the E animal, Harpy Eagle on Peregrine Fund.
2. AFRICAN ELEPHANTThe African elephant is the world’s largest land mammal. You can tell it from an Asian elephant because its ear is the same shape as Africa! The female elephants live in a herd led by the matriarch while male wander on their own or in small bands. They only sleep four hours per night and they even spend half of their sleep standing up. Elephants get emotional when they experience the loss of a loved one, just like we do. Elephants also get sunburned, which is why they make sure to be in the shade and often use their trunks to put sand on their backs. You can read more about the E animal, Elephant on National Geographic
3. EMUFound all over Australia these large flightless birds are instantly recognizable due to their sheer size and their incredible speed. Some have been clocked at 31 mph! Emus are ‘nomadic’. This means they don’t stay in one spot for very long and take advantage of the food that is available in an area and move on when they need to. Emus tend to eat mostly plants and insects – but you should see an Emu vs. Weasel Ball, you’d think that is their natural prey! They have two sets of eyelids, one for blinking and the other for keeping the dust out! You can read more about the E animal, Emu on Folly Farm.
4. ECHIDNAThe spiny anteater lives in Australia and in New Guinea. Echidnas don’t have any teeth, but they have a soft diet made up mainly of ants and termites. Instead, they have a long, tube-like mouth with a sticky tongue, and they are also covered in spines. Did you know, Echidnas lay eggs! They are very timid animals. When they feel endangered they attempt to bury themselves or if exposed they will curl into a ball, both methods using their spines to shield them. The cute critters are also thought to be very smart, with large brains for their size. One problem with their smartness is that they’re good at avoiding people, even the scientists who want to study them, so echidnas remain one of the most mysterious cute animals out there. You can read more about the E animal, Echidna on Fact Animal.
5. ELECTRIC EELThe Amazon’s electric eel gets its name from its shocking abilities! Special organs in the eel’s body release powerful electric charges. However, they tend to only use the strongest charges to defend themselves. Electric eels are nocturnal, live in muddy, dark waters, and have poor eyesight. So instead of using eyes, electric eels emit a weak electric signal, which they use like radar to navigate, to find a mate, and to find prey. Electric eels can grow up to 8 feet (2.5 meters) in length. Despite their appearance, electric eels aren’t actually eels at all! They are more closely related to carp and catfish. You can read more about the E animal, Electric Eel on National Geographic.
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT STARTS WITH E!Related: Letter E Coloring Page Related: Letter D Color by Letter Worksheet
E Is For Elephant Coloring PagesHere at Kids Activities Blog we like elephant and have a lot of fun elephant coloring pages and elephant printables that can be used when celebrating the letter E:
Places Starting With EFinding words that start with the Letter E will take us miles and miles from home!
1. E is for ELLIS ISLANDEllis Island was the largest immigration station in the United States from 1892 to 1924. Over 12 million immigrants came through Ellis Island during this period. The island was nicknamed the “Island of Hope” for many immigrants coming to America to find a better life.
2. E is for EGYPTAncient Egypt was one of the greatest and most powerful civilizations in the history of the world. It lasted for over 3000 years from 3150 BC to 30 BC. Egypt is a very dry country. The Sahara and Libyan Desert make up most of the area of Egypt. Egypt experiences natural hazards such as droughts, earthquakes, flash floods, landslides, windstorms (called khamsin), dust storms and sandstorms. It is home to the longest river in the word – the Nile
3. E is for EUROPEEurope is the second smallest continent in size but the third largest in population. The European continent houses 50 countries. Of the European countries, 27 nations belong to the European Union (EU)which is a political and economic union. Europe borders onto the Arctic Ocean in the North, the Atlantic Ocean in the west and the Mediterranean Sea in the South. Five out of the top ten tourist destinations in the world are located in Europe.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH E:
EGGPLANTThough ‘egg’ is the first of many words that start with the letter E that came to mind, Eggplant just seemed to fit my family more. We all already eat eggs; eggplant was something we could explore together. So, E is for Eggplant! Full of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, the health benefits of eggplant are extensive! I was able to track down 5 Simple and Healthy Eggplant Recipes for you! My family’s favorite was the Eggplant Pasta Salad!
MORE LETTER E WORDS AND RESOURCES FOR ALPHABET LEARNINGCan you think of more examples for words that start with the letter E? Share some of your favorites below!