We have a shark craft today that is fun and functional and perfect for kids of all ages especially older kids. Make a hammerhead shark magnet with our free printable hammerhead shark template. This shark craft is great for Shark Week, ocean units both at home or in the classroom.
Hammerhead Shark Magnet Craft
Your finished Hammerhead shark craft appears 3D when you are done because it is based on a clothespin making it perfect for a locker magnet or on the front of the fridge.
We have included a printable hammerhead shark template so it will be easy to follow the step by step instructions to have your hammerhead shark craft look just like ours (if that is what you want!).
This article contains affiliate links.
Supplies Needed to Make a Shark Magnet Craft
Download & Print Hammerhead Shark Template PDF File
Directions for Hammerhead Shark Magnet Craft
Start by downloading and printing our Hammerhead Shark printable that we will be using later.
You can choose to cut out the pieces on the template or place the template on top of the foam craft sheets and cut together.
- Now paint your clothespin blue.
- You may need to apply a few coats of blue paint until it looks correct.
- Let dry and set aside.
Tip: Don’t worry so much about one of the sides cause this will be the bottom and will be covered by foam paper anyway. Try to get inside parts painted the best you can.
Grab your printed shark template. After cutting the printable into pieces, use a pencil to trace the shark body shapes onto the blue foam paper.
- Before you start be sure to keep them to scale when compared to the clothespin, which will be the mouth and the front part of the body.
- The first piece will be a shape that will be the body and tail including the front fins, the back fins, and tail fin.
- The second piece will be an oval that will be the front part of the head and body but on one end of an oval draw the hammer shape for the head.
- The final piece will be the dorsal fin.
- Now, cut out all pieces.
Once the paint is dry on the clothes pin, hot glue it on top of the first body parts – shark body with tail and fins.
Now flip it over and glue a magnet to the bottom of the clothes pin and foam paper.
Flip back over. Now glue two small googly eyes on the ends of the hammer head foam paper piece as well as the dorsal fin towards the other end of the oval shape.
Next, we’ll glue this entire piece onto the top of the clothes pin.
Finished Hammerhead Shark Craft
Now you have a hammerhead shark magnet clip to hang on the fridge and chomp down on important papers or kids artwork!
Our Experience Making this Hammerhead Shark Craft
Our boys loved making their own shark magnets and I am confident your kids will too. Once done, use them to chomp down and display important notes, shark drawings and all sorts of fun anywhere you can use a magnet!
- Blue Foam Paper
- Small Googly Eyes
- Blue Acrylic Paint
- Small Magnet
- Hammerhead Shark Printable – download below
- Download, print and cut out the printable shark template.
- Paint the clothespin blue – add as many layers as desired.
- Cut out pieces based on template from blue foam craft sheets.
- Glue the cut blue foam pieces onto the blue clothespin.
- Glue the magnet on the bottom of the shark.
- Add googly eyes to the shark’s head.
Shark Books We Love
Related: More easy five minute crafts for kids
More Shark Fun from Kids Activities Blog
Related: More fun educational activities
How did your hammerhead shark magnet craft turn out? Did you use the printable shark craft template?