Let’s make a marble maze out of a paper plate. This simple maze craft is fun with younger kids because it becomes a toy and is great for older kids who can plan out the marble’s path and then make it happen with paper straws. You can make a maze with simple supplies and it is a great activity for home or a quick STEM activity for the classroom.
Simple Maze Craft for Kids
Sometimes you just need a quick and easy activity for kids. This paper plate marble maze uses basic paper straws and glue.
When the kids are bored and you feel out of ideas, paper plates always come to the rescue. With a little imagination, paper plates can become anything kids dream.
Related: Here is a different variation on the marble maze you can make
A paper plate marble maze is easy to put together. You only need a few supplies, and kids can easily customize their own mazes. If kids want to, they can paint their paper plates in advance.
This post contains affiliate links.
How to Make a Paper Plate Marble Maze
Supplies Needed to Make a Paper Plate Maze
Instructions for Making Paper Plate Maze Craft
After gathering supplies…
invite kids to cut the straws into shorter pieces with scissors. Using a variety of sizes makes the maze interesting!
Next, show kids how to glue the straws to the paper plate to create a maze.
We used tacky craft glue, but white school glue would work as well.
Paper Plate Craft Tip: Creating the maze requires some planning, as kids will have to decide where the start and end of their maze is.
Maze Planning Ideas
- You may wish to have kids design their maze on a piece of paper first. It will be fun to see their project come to life!
- Place one of the first straws, and have your child build from there.
- Decide where the start and end will be, and then have your child fill it in!
- Try to make mazes in different shapes! Triangles, squares, circles. The different shapes will make the mazes easier or harder!
Paper Plate Marble Maze Challenge
When kids are done creating their mazes, it’s challenge time! Study the science behind movement while having a friendly competition …because fun!
- Can they get their marble or wooden bead from start to finish without dropping it? After they succeed, invite them to trade mazes with a friend.
- After that, they can race each other with a paper plate marble run. Up the ante and get even more scientific by using different sized round beads/ marbles, to see how that affects speed!
- white paper plates
- paper straws
- tacky craft glue
- marbles or round beads
1. After gathering supplies, invite kids to cut the straws into shorter pieces with scissors.
2. Next, show kids how to glue their straws to the paper plate to create a maze. We used tacky craft glue, but white school glue would work as well.
3.Creating the maze requires some planning, as kids will have to decide where the start and end of their maze is.
Using a variety of sizes of straws makes the maze interesting!
You may wish to have kids design their maze on a piece of paper first. It will be fun to see their project come to life!
More Marble & Stem Crafts for Kids
- We have been doing a lot of Marble activities, lately. I know Marble Run is mostly to blame, and that’s ok!
- It’s all a lot of fun. Last time, we recycled toilet paper rolls to make a fun marble tubes game!
- I think next will be a marble STEM activity, to keep their brains in motion!
More Paper Plate Crafts for Kids
After you are finished with your paper plate marble maze, click the links below to view more creative ideas for kids using paper plates:
How did your simple paper plate maze craft turn out?