Spook your friends with these fun facts about Halloween that you probably didn’t know about!
If you’ve ever wondered how old Halloween is, or what’s the most famous candy during Halloween, download our printable sheets!
Random Halloween facts Printables
Want to know what’s the best part? We put these interesting facts about Halloween in two printable versions: a full-color version and a black and white version, so your little one can enjoy a coloring activity while learning about the history and traditions of this unique holiday.
Our Halloween facts pdf is perfect for home, classroom or virtual learning environment for kids to have some fun while learning Halloween.
15 Halloween Trivia facts
These Halloween fun and random facts will blow your mind!
- Halloween dates back to a pre-Christian Celtic festival called Samhain, which means “summer’s end”.
- Halloween is older than you may think: it dates back to almost 2000 years ago!
- Trick-or-treating has existed since medieval times, but it was known as “guising” or “souling” in Scotland and Ireland.
- Jack-o-lanterns were originally carved into turnips instead of pumpkins.
- Candy corn was originally called Chicken Feed, not because it tastes like chicken food, but because corn is what was used to feed chickens.
- The highest number of lit jack o’lanterns on display is 30,581 by the City of Keene, New Hampshire in 2013.
- Halloween is the second-largest commercial holiday in the country, right after Christmas.
- Americans spent approximately $9 billion on Halloween in 2019… that’s a lot of candies and costumes!
- The most popular children’s costumes are princesses and superheroes.
- 17% of Americans dress their pets in costumes – one of the most common costumes is pumpkins!
- Skittles are the top Halloween candy, even above M&M’s, Snickers, and Reese’s cups.
- The night before Halloween is called Mischief Night or Goosey Night, mostly in the Midwest and on the East Coast.
- The word “witch” comes from the Old English wicce, meaning “wise woman.”
- In Medieval Europe, owls were thought to be witches, and hearing an owl’s call meant someone was about to die.
- According to tradition, if a person wears his or her clothes inside out and then walks backward on Halloween, he or she will see a witch at midnight.
What was your favorite fun Halloween fact? Let us know in the comments!
Need coloring supplies? Here are some kid favorites:
You can find LOADS of super fun coloring pages for kids & adults here. Have fun!
More Halloween fun from Kids Activities Blog
Discover even more Halloween fun resources
Young children need plenty of practice in pen-control – an essential skill they must learn before starting to form letters and numbers. This fun Wipe Clean Halloween Activities book is full of Halloween-themed activities, encouraging children to join the dots, spot differences, solve mazes, and trace the dotted lines with the special pen provided, then wipe clean and repeat.
Spooky fun activities include step-bystep instructions for drawing, spot the difference and matching puzzles, mazes, coloring, and dot-to-dots in the Little Children’s Halloween Activity Book.
This Halloween Magic Painting Book will amaze your kids! Simply dip the magic water brush into water, brush it over the black and white patterns, and you’ll be amazed at the colors that magically appear.