One of the first simple paper crafts kids learn is how to make a fan with paper. We are making super simple folded paper fans. Once kids have made this easy paper fan craft they can keep cool outside, in the car, or at home with colorful Easy Paper Fans that they made themselves despite the summer heat!
Easy Paper Fans Craft for Kids
This paper craft couldn’t be easier! Folding paper into an accordion shape does require some fine-motor skills. Younger children may need assistance at first and get better as they practice this easy paper folding.
Related: Easy Paper Flowers
I also love that this craft is very frugal, making it perfect for home, school, or camp!
This article contains affiliate links.
How to Make a Fan with Paper
Materials Needed to Make a Fan
Directions to Make a Paper Fan
After gathering the supplies, invite your child choose a colorful sheet of construction paper to fold into an accordion:
- Start at one end and fold about an inch of paper up.
- Next, turn the paper over and fold another inch.
- Repeat until the entire paper has been folded.
Fold the accordion in half.
Pull the top edges of the folded side up and attach them together with a Glue Dot.
Use Glue Dots to secure two standard-sized wooden craft sticks to the bottom of the fan. This will allow children to easily open and close their fan.
When the fan is not in use, close it and wrap a rubber band or string around it.
Make Decorative Paper Fans
Alternatively, kids could use plain white construction paper and draw colorful patterns on their fans.
- Construction Paper (standard)
- Wooden popsicle sticks (standard)
- Glue Dots, glue or double sided tape
- Rubber band
- Fold a piece of construction paper in an accordion fold by starting at one end and fold an inch segment of the paper up then flip it over and repeat and repeat until you are at the end of the paper.
- Fold your accordion paper stack in half and secure with glue dot, glue or double sided tape.
- Attach craft sticks to the bottom of both sides with glue dots.
- Secure with a rubber band to store.
More Paper Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
Do you remember making paper fans as a child? What did your kids think of this easy paper fan craft?