The paper airplane is a staple of childhood. This easy and competitive paper airplane game for kids of all ages only requires paper and a pair of scissors. This paper airplane game could be used as a STEM activity, science experiment, science project or just to have a little fun at home or in the classroom.
Fold a Paper Airplane
Paper airplanes are magic in their ability to turn an ordinary piece of paper into something that can fly effortlessly through the air with just a few strategic folds.
To start with a flat, ordinary piece of paper and transform it into something three dimensional. Let’s get started with folding our first paper airplane…
Related: Simple Paper Airplane Challenge from Kids Activities Blog
This article contains affiliate links.
Instructions: How to Fold a Paper Airplane
Easy Steps to Folding a Paper Plane
- Fold your 8 1/2 x 11 inch piece of copy paper or construction paper in half lengthwise to mark the middle of the paper with a fold and then open back up.
- Hold one of the upper corners of the paper and fold into the middle creating a triangle fold and leave it folded against the middle. Repeat on the other side.
- Take the outer corner created by the last fold and fold it completely into the middle paper fold and crease. Repeat on the other side.
- Fold the middle fold back on itself exposing the folds you just completed and crease into place.
- Take one side and fold it in half by taking the angle edge to the middle crease edge and then crease the fold just enough to allow it to create a 90 degree angle for the paper airplane wing.
- Repeat on the other side to make the other paper airplane wing.
- Your paper airplane is ready to fly!
Print the Easy Paper Airplane Folding Steps Tutorial
Paper Airplane Game for Kids
Today, we are looking at what would happen when you change one simple fold in a science experiment from the book, Potentially Catastrophic Science by Sean Connelly. Follow along with the step by step paper airplane game instructions below and at the bottom of this article, you can print out the entire simple science experiment courtesy of the book publisher!
Paper Airplane Materials Needed
Game Instructions for Playing Paper Airplane Games
Make four identical paper airplanes. You can use the step by step paper airplane folding instructions listed above or kids can fold their favorite paper airplane model.
Quick Paper Airplane Folding Guide
Mine were made by folding the paper in half lengthwise and opening back up. Fold the upper corners into triangles to the mid-line fold line. Fold over those triangles with another, longer triangle that goes down almost the entire side of the paper. Reverse the original lengthwise fold and form wings by folding down very long triangles.
Cut a one inch length slit into each wing at the rear so the wing tip can be folded.
Fold the first plane with both wing tips up, the second with both down, the third with the right up and left down and the fourth with the right down and the left up.
Now stand together with your kid helpers and give each an airplane in a line. You are going to throw all four airplanes at the same time in the same direction and watch what happens.
Our Experience Playing the Paper Airplane Game
We found that one plane headed down, one plane spiraled right, one plane spiraled left and one did an upward loop de loop.
Printable Paper Airplane Game Instructions
Why do paper airplanes fly that way?
Why does that happen? Once a plane is airborne, there is still the matter of steering it. Pilots do this by raising and lowering flaps on the wings and tail of the plane.
The cool thing about this game was that after we finished, we still had four perfectly amazing paper airplanes to play with and it doesn’t get much better than that!
Now go forth and fly…
Paper Airplane Books We Love
More Plane Fun & Games from Kids activities Blog
How did your paper airplane games turn out? Did your kids have fun flying their paper airplanes?