This paper plate craft for kids is a mother bird with her baby birds sitting in a nest. It is the sweetest bird nest craft for preschool and older kids of all ages. We love that it uses just a few simple craft supplies including a basic white paper plate and a lot of kid imagination!
Bird Nest Craft for Kids
We created this mother and baby bird paper plate craft as blue birds, but you could customize it for whatever bird species fits your crafting style.
Related: More paper plate crafts for kids
This post includes affiliate links.
Momma and Baby Birds in a Nest Paper Plate Craft
We are showing you steps to create a detailed mother blue bird and her two baby bird chicks sitting in a nest made of a paper plate.
- Bird Nest Craft Tips for Younger Kids: You may want to simplify the steps a little or pre-cut the shapes needed.
- Bird Nest Craft Tips for Older Kids: Hand older kids the supplies and let their imaginations go wild. You never know what they will come up with!
Related: More paper plate animals kids can make
Supplies Needed for this Paper Plate Craft
Directions to Make a Birds Nest from a Paper Plate
Step 1 – Create the Nest
Cut the paper plate in half.
Use the hole punch to make random holes all over the plate.
Weave the twine through the holes. This gives the appearance of twigs and grass in a bird’s nest!
Step 2 – Create the Birds
Cut the following pieces from the craft foam
- 1 large blue circle, 3 medium blue circles and 2 small blue circles – these will create the bird bodies and bird heads of the mother bird and two baby birds
- 3 orange triangles – these will be used for the bird beaks (you can cut the two baby bird beaks in 1/2)
- 1 medium white circle -this will be the detail on the belly of the mother bird
Create the Mother Bird
Glue the white circle onto the large blue circle. This is the momma bluebird’s body. Glue a medium circle onto these for the head.
Add eyes and beak.
Create the Baby Birds
Assemble the 2 baby bluebirds by gluing a small blue circle (head) onto the medium circles (body) then add the eyes and beak.
Arrange the heads so they look upward and the orange triangle can be cut in half to give the impression that the little baby bird’s mouths are open ready for mom.
Step 3 – Add Bird Details
Finish with some craft feather wings and glue to the paper plate nest!
Finished Paper Plate Nest Craft
Add to the learning when making this craft by reading some books that discuss how birds build nests, how baby birds hatch, how momma birds feed the babies and how they learn to fly!
- Paper plate
- Twine or yarn
- Craft foam – we used blue, white and orange
- Craft feathers
- Googly eyes
- Create the bird nest by cutting the paper plate in half and punching random holes around the edge of the plate. Weave the twine through the holes to give the appearance of twigs in the nest.
- Cut the foam pieces that will create the birds out of blue foam – 1 large circle, 3 medium circles and 2 small circles.
- Cut the foam pieces that will create the birds out of orange foam – 3 small triangles (then cut 2 of the triangles in 1/2 which will be the baby bird’s mouths).
- Cut one medium sized circle out of white craft foam.
- Assemble the mother bird by gluing the white circle onto the large blue circle for her body, add a medium blue circle as her head, the large orange triangle, googly eyes and some feathers.
- Assemble the baby birds by gluing the small blue circles to the medium blue circles and adding googly eyes and the beaks in an open position. Add feathers.
- Glue the three birds into the nest.
More Bird Crafts from Kids Activities Blog
Did your kids enjoy this fun mother bird and baby bird in a nest paper plate craft?