This easy chicken enchilada casserole recipe doesn’t disappoint, and it’s a simple meal the whole family will love. A little bit crunchy with just enough of the enchilada chewy goodness filled with Mexico-inspired flavors with just enough heat.
Spicy chicken, mixed with creamy cheese, beans, veggies, and soft tortillas, topped with your favorites, like sour cream, guacamole, and cilantro. Yum!
Best Chicken Enchilada Casserole Recipe
Who doesn’t love a good casserole?!
Casserole recipes allow for a quick and easy meal that you can put together ahead of time while meal prepping for the week or easily assemble during a busy night.
This article contains affiliate links.
This Chicken Enchilada Recipe:
- Serves 6-8
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients – Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Green onions
- Sour cream
Instructions -Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Start by lightly spraying a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
Then, in a large bowl, stir together enchilada sauce and salsa.
Reserve 1 cup of sauce mixture.
Next, spread about ½ cup sauce evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
Drain and rinse black beans, drain pinto bean and corn, stir into sauce.
Then, stir in chicken.
Cut tortillas and layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Next, cover with one third of the meat mixture.
Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over meat mixture.
Then, repeat with another layer of tortillas, meat mixture then 1 cup cheese.
Add remaining tortillas and remaining ½ cup sauce mixture, then more cheese.
Next, lightly spray a piece of foil to prevent cheese sticking, and cover baking dish.
Bake covered for 20 minutes.
Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with your favorite toppings.
- Ground beef can also be used instead of chicken. Brown ground beef on the stove until no pink remains.
- Beans – you can use any beans you like
How To Make Gluten Free Enchilada Casserole
It is so easy to convert this enchilada casserole into a gluten free recipe!
Use gluten free flour tortillas instead of traditional flour tortillas (Mission makes delicious gluten free tortillas!).
Then, just double check that the rest of your packaged ingredients are gluten free.
What To Serve With Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Whenever I make enchiladas or tacos, I love serving yummy bean and rice dishes on the side! Why not have more of a good thing, am I right?!
- This Tex-Mex black bean and corn salad is the perfect side for your chicken enchilada casserole! Just add a bit of guacamole and a spritz of fresh lemon or lime juice–YUM!
- Speaking of guac, here is THE BEST guacamole recipe, ever! It’s so easy to make and just tastes better when it’s homemade!
- I also love to make a big pot of Mexican rice, too! It mixes nicely with the black bean and corn salad.
- 3 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 can (19 oz) red enchilada sauce, mild or hot
- 1 cup salsa, mild or hot
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15 oz) pinto beans ** see notes
- 12 (6 inch) corn or flour tortillas, cut to fit baking dish
- 1 can (15.25 oz) corn or 2 cups frozen corn, drained
- 3 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Optional Toppings:
- Green onions
- Sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together enchilada sauce and salsa.
- Reserve 1 cup of sauce mixture.
- Spread about ½ cup sauce evenly on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Drain and rinse black beans, drain pinto bean and corn, stir into sauce.
- Stir in chicken.
- Cut tortillas and layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Cover with one third of the meat mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over meat mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of tortillas, meat mixture then 1 cup cheese.
- Add remaining tortillas and remaining ½ cup sauce mixture, then more cheese.
- Lightly spray a piece of foil to prevent cheese sticking, and cover baking dish.
- Bake covered for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
More Yummy Chicken Recipes & Easy Dinners
Chicken is on of those foods that even the pickiest of eaters will eat, if you have the right recipe! Here are some of our favorite chicken recipes:
What is your favorite topping for chicken enchiladas? Comment below!