Let’s have some fun today with O words! Words that start with the letter O are outstanding and outrageous. We have a list of O letter words, animals that start with O, O coloring pages, places that start with the letter O and letter O foods. These O words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
O Words For KidsIf you are looking for words beginning with O for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun. Related: Letter O Crafts This article contains affiliate links.
- O is for Open Minded, being willing to entertain new ideas.
- O is for Optimism, is the feeling that everything will end well.
- O is for Obedient, is dutifully listening and complying with orders from authorities.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH THE Letter O:There are so many animals that start with a letter O. When you look at animals that begin with the letter O, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of O! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter O animals.
1. BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS is an Animal that Starts with OThe blue-ringed octopus is an extremely venomous animal known for the bright, iridescent blue rings it displays when threatened. The small octopuses are common in tropical and subtropical coral reefs and tide pools of the Pacific and Indian Oceans, ranging from southern Japan to Australia. Although deadly, the animal is docile and unlikely to bite unless handled. Ordinarily, a blue-ringed octopus is tan-colored and blends in with its surroundings. The iridescent blue rings only appear when the animal is disturbed or threatened. The blue-ringed octopus hunts small crabs and shrimp during the day. You can read more about the O animal, Octopus on NHM
2. OSTRICH is an Animal that Starts with OFound across Africa’s hot savannahs and open woodland, the ostrich is the world’s largest bird. This flightless bird has a long, bare neck, long, sturdy legs and a bulky body covered with feathers. Males and females have different coloured feathers – males sport black plumage with a white tail, and females are mostly brown. The ostrich might not be able to fly, but boy can it run! Using its long legs, it can reach up to 45 mph. Ostriches are mainly vegetarian, eating roots, leaves, flowers and seeds. But they will also eat insects, lizards and other small creatures, too. You can read more about the O animal, Ostrich on Nat Geo Kids
3. OKAPI is an Animal that Starts with OKnown as the “forest giraffe,” the okapi looks more like a cross between a deer and a zebra. It can blend into its surroundings thanks to the brown and white stripes on its rump, which mimic the appearance of streaks of sunlight coming through the trees. Its plant-based diet consists of fruits, buds, leaves, twigs, and other vegetation. Just like the giraffe and cow, the okapi has four stomachs that aid with digesting tough plants. Also like its giraffe cousin, the okapi has a long, dark tongue that can strip leaves from branches. San Diego Zoo researchers discovered that okapis have a secret language. They watched okapis closely and recorded their sounds. The researchers heard coughs, bleats, and whistles quite often, but it wasn’t until they returned to the Sensory Ecology Lab to examine their recordings closely that they realized okapis also use other calls with very low frequencies. These calls are so low, in fact, that we humans cannot hear them at all! Check out this super cute video of one of their baby Okapis! You can read more about the O animal, Okapi on Animals San Diego Zoo
4. OPOSSUM is an Animal that Starts with OThe only marsupial in North America, is the Opossum! They are often considered to be a pest, but play a vital role by eating ticks! Opossums are immune to rabies. They have a body temperature too low for rabies to survive. While most animals look at a snake and see danger, a opossum sees its next meal. The animals are immune to the venom of nearly every type of snake found in their native range, the one exception being the coral snake. Oossums take advantage of this adaptation by chowing down on snakes on a regular basis. Perhaps the most famous characteristic of the opossum is its tendency to play dead in front of predators. When the animal experiences intense fear in the face of danger, it seizes up and flops to the ground where it can remain for hours staring blankly ahead and sticking out its tongue. It’s an impressive defensive mechanism, but its effectiveness can’t be chalked up to the possum’s acting skills. Opossums have no control over when they play dead or for how long they do it. You can read more about the O animal, Opossum on National Geographic
5. GIANT OTTER is an Animal that Starts with OGiant otters are the largest of any otter in the world growing up to 1.8m. They are double the size of the world’s smallest otter, the Asian short-clawed otter. Despite having an enormous habitat in the Amazon river basin, they are very endangered. These incredibly social critters can be spotted playing in groups of up to 20. Giant otters most common prey is fish but they have been known to take some of the more feared Amazonian animals such as caiman, anacondas and piranhas! You can read more about the O animal, Giant Otter on Discover Wildlife
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER O!Related: Letter N Coloring Page Related: Letter N Color by Letter Worksheet
O Is For Owl Coloring PagesHere at Kids Activities Blog we like narwhal and have a lot of fun narwhal coloring pages and narwhal printables that can be used when celebrating the letter O:
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER O:Next, in our words starting with the Letter O, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
1. O is for Oaxaca, MexicoOaxaca is home to 18 out of the 65 ethnic groups that inhabit Mexico. The state of Oaxaca alone preserves 32% of its indigenous population. Part of what makes Oaxaca one of the most beautiful places in Mexico is not only its beautiful cities and majestic mountains. It also has thousands of miles of coastline. Its amazing tides have transformed coastal towns. They now host their own international surf competition, The Surf Open League. This attracts thousands of tourists and surfers from all over the world each year.
2. O is for Ontario, CanadaThe second-largest province in Canada, Ontario covers over 415,000 square miles. This makes it larger than France and Spain combined. No visit to Ontario is complete without spending time in its capital, Toronto. During World War II, Canada operated a spy school near the town of Whitby, Ontario. Here, intrepid young men were trained to spy on the enemies of the Allies. Ontario has a wide range of climates. The temperature can reach above 104°F, in the summer. During the winter, it can dip to minus 100°F in the winter in its coldest parts.
3. O is for The Ottoman EmpireThough no longer technically a place, the Ottoman Empire is very worth mentioning due to its size and how long it existed. It lasted from 1299 to 1923. The Ottoman Empire began to lose power in the last decades of the 1500s but did not fall apart completely until World War 2. At its peak, it was centered in Turkey and controlled the eastern and southern lands around the Mediterranean Sea. The empire was a collection of conquered countries.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER O:You’re most of the way through words that start with the Letter O!
O is for Oats!
- Oats are a whole-grain cereal mainly grown in North America and Europe.
- They are a very good source of fiber, especially beta glucan, and are high in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Whole oats are the only food source of avenanthramides, a unique group of antioxidants believed to protect against heart disease.
- Due to their many benefits, such as lowering blood sugar and cholesterol levels, oats have gained considerable attention as a health food.
Wanting some inspiration? I thought so!
More Letter O Words and Resources For Alphabet LearningCan you think of more examples for words that start with the letter O? Share some of your favorites below!